Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Writing goals for 2007

1. Where do you want to be with your writing in the long-term?

I would like to write full time.

2. Where are you with your writing now?


I'm writing more than I did at this time last year. I have more ideas than I did then as well. I'm just bursting with ideas that I want to implement! I'm so excited about several projects.

3. What project did you leave unfinished last year that you need to finish for your own peace of mind?

Under the Magnolia Tree needs to be finished, and Deadly Council. I'm so excited to see what will happen with those two stories. I also think I'm ready to start working on After the Storm again. The emotions it brought up were too difficult while we were still doing disaster relief, but since the hands-on portion is over, I think I can handle the story again.


4. What creative goals do you want to achieve over the next year?

I'd like to write a short story each month. I have some interesting ideas for these. I want to participate in Script Frenzy in June. It will be my first attempt at a screenplay. I have absolutely no idea what I'll write for that, but I have some time to figure it out. I want to finish Deadly Council and Under the Magnolia Tree, and continue pitching Summer's Blossom until I find someone who will take it!

5. What financial goals do you want to achieve over the next year? Yearly? Monthly? Weekly? (Note: There is no need to post this information, but you should have a figure that you feel comfortable with in your own notes).

There is a number in my head. Hopefully I can reach it by the end of 2007.

6. What steps do you see necessary in your life to achieve these goals?

Continue doing my best at work.

7. What will make you refer to yourself, first and foremost, as "writer"?

I guess just writing every day would allow me to refer to myself as a writer, but I think ultimately it hinges on being published. I know that's the worst way to determine if you are a writer or not, but it seems to be everyone else's standard.

8. What steps do you need to take on the technical front to achieve your goals (such as improving spelling, grammar, and a general widening of skills)?

Writing, writing, writing! I'm also going to look into some online writing classes and a writing conference or two.

9. What steps do you need to take on the creative front to achieve your goals?

Write every day (I keep going back to that, don't I?) Journal and keep an idea notebook for future projects, spend time watching people and writing down observations about them.

10. What changes do you need to make in your daily life (interaction with friends, family, job) to make this work?

I need to schedule creative time each day. This includes time for writing, journaling, prayer and meditation, and making an effort to really observe the world around me.

11. How much time each day do you vow to devote to your writing?

I'd like to spend two hours writing and one hour editing/brainstorming if at all possible.

12. With what new type of writing will you experiment in the coming year?

I would like to write some poetry, a sci-fi story, a fantasy story, and some other genres I haven't explored.

13. What new non-writing interest do you wish to add to your life this year?

I'd like to become more skilled at knitting. I also want to make a short film, improve my photography skills, learn to sew, learn more about wine, and learn to draw (or paint.)

No comments:

Post a Comment