Monday, August 21, 2006

What an awesome day!

Today was fabulous. About six months ago, I wrote a grant to get a volunteer for the year for my organization. Today the volunteer arrived. Well actually, four of them arrived last night but today I picked them up and gave them a tour of the city and of the agencies where they will be working, including mine. Each of the ladies will be working for a different nonprofit agency in the city. They live in a house together and spend the year working for these different agencies.

Anyway, the tour was a lot of fun for me. It allowed me to see things through different eyes. It allowed me to be a tourist in my own city, which is always cool. We ate lunch with the residents of a homeless shelter, went to two other social service agencies, and then to my food bank. Then I took them to the bank and a local grocery store. One thing that struck me was the enthusiasm these young ladies had for what they were about to do. They are all committing a year of their lives to helping people, to volunteering. What an awesome way to spend a year. I don't think any of them will ever know just how much I admire them for what they are doing.

No word from the job or from the musical. I think I might have too many balls in the air... I'm beginning to forget what I'm waiting to hear about, lol!

The healthy lifestyle program (I've decided not to call it a diet) is still going well. I lost 5 pounds the first week! I'm sure it was the soda thing. Just laying off the soda cut over 700 calories a day from my diet. How in the world did I drink 700 calories a day??? Soda is EVIL! And diet soda is worse!

Anyway, so that's going well. Everything else is going well too. I have no reasons to complain. Except money. I could always use more of that, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment